Well, if you think the time is right for getting a new razor, you need to make your choice rather carefully. You need to understand that this isn’t really a purchase that you would be making every day.
With a lot of marketing and often pointless jargons like electric rotary, double edge, 5 blades, straight razors floating in the air; there is a strong possibility that you would find it rather difficult to zero in on the razor that would suit your facial requirements.
It has to be understood rather clearly that every person has different needs vis-à-vis his razor. So, get yourself acquainted with the different types of razors and their applicability through the placement of the following pointers:
- Electric shavers: The biggest advantage of electric shavers is that it has a good efficiency factor. It would substantially decrease the amount of your shaving time. It would help you if you are traveling. Electric shavers can give you an unhindered and non-troublesome experience during traveling. These shavers are essentially meant for people who are into business. However, there are some distinct disadvantages of electric shaving as well. Electric shaving can never give you the smooth finishing that normal shaving can give you. Although you could do a wet shaving using an electric shaver, the fact remains that it is no competition to the normal razor. Also, you might experience skin irritation and acne if you keep using electric shavers for a sustained period of time. This is especially true for people with sensitive skin. The reason is fairly clear. For electric shavers, you need to shave the same area over and over again that might lead to skin displacement and consequent irritation. So, it is better than you understand that electric shavers have to be used once in a while and that too when you absolutely don’t have any other option.
- Cartridge razors: The disposable or the cartridge razors are a little on the expensive side. However, they give a really good shave. These razors generally come with 3 to 5 blades. These razors could be found in the bathroom cabinet for some men. These razors are great for the starters as it is rather difficult to cut yourself with cartridge razors. Just in case, you don’t like the sight of blood, this razor would be your best bet. However, it is important to understand that while electric shavers are a lot worse when to come to acne and skin irritation, cartridge razors also don’t lag too far behind. Additionally, you can’t use the razor for more than a few shavings as the blades would turn dull. Once the blades are dull, not only will you experience an enhancement in skin irritation but the shaves won’t be clean either. The shaves given by these razors would also have a significant impact on the secretion of the natural oils from your skin. And, last but not the least; it would significantly burn a hole in your pocket.
- Double Edge Razor: Rather contemporary versions of safety razor, Double Edge Razors are becoming more and more popular with each passing day. In terms of having a good and clean shave, this razor ranks as one of the finest. It gives you a very good experience vis-à-vis the shaving process. Additionally, these razors are simply fantastic when acne and skin irritations are concerned. Just in case you happen to have a very sensitive skin, it is recommended that you use this sort of razor. The most important thing that you get through the utilization of this razor is its rather economical demeanor. It costs far less than the Cartridge Razors. The blades for this razor will actually last more than 5 times. However, the disadvantages are also quite distinct. The shaving process will consume a lot more time than electric shavers or cartridge razors. Also, if you don’t excel in the art of shaving, chances are that you might get yourself cut and then there will be blood. Another problem that you might face is portability and consequently business travelers might find this type of razors to be a little on the cumbersome side.
- Straight Razor: Well, if you are looking for a lifetime investment on a razor, a straight razor could be your obvious choice. Like double edge razor, this razor is also making a slow but gradual comeback into the market. The advantages are simply awesome. This razor gives you the cleanest and best shave that you could possibly wish to have. Also, this razor is best suited those who have a clear condition of either acne or skin irritation. Again, this razor also has its disadvantages. You will initially cut yourself a multiple number of times. Additionally, the pricing is a little steeper in addition to the fact that shaving with this razor is also considered to be time-consuming. You would require a lot of time if you plan a shave with this razor. Remember, the razor will be there with you for a significant period of time. Notwithstanding, the only investment that you would need following the purchase would be on good shaving creams.
- Beard Trimmer: If you happen to be one of those persons who don’t shave, a beard trimmer might make the day for you. It is required for keeping your beard under check. The possibilities of acne and skin irritation don’t arise as you are not really using the services of a razor. However, it could be clearly seen that this equipment can’t get you a shave when you most require it. It can never be a replacement to a razor. It can at most be an addition to your collection of razors.
Depending on the type of skin and preferences you have, you can choose your razor. However, do remember that some amount of caution is a sine-qua-non when it comes to the shaving process. Do have a good and clean shave!